Sunday, September 20, 2015

New School

This post is all about New School tattoos. New school is all about "free styling" and is very different from American Traditional. New school is all about new ideas and creating new patterns with combinations of graffiti and hip hop influences. New school tattoos most noticeable feature is the use of very bright neon colors. Other attributes to new school tattooing is bright saturated inks, large “strokes”, vivid pop of colors and cartoon-like shapes and volumes. There isn’t one clear style, or “common” subjects but you’ll unquestionably know a new school tattoo when you see it. New school is all about colors you can’t find in nature and extreme 3D, almost graffiti-like shading, and Heavy outline, like cartoons and graffiti’s.
For me, I really appreciate new school tattoos for their artwork, creativity, and uniqueness. I have seen so many distinctive new school tattoos over the years and I have seen them take off in popularity.
I have included some images of new school tattoos that show you the range of subjects it can create.

5 comments :

  1. I find these pictures very interesting as I love looking at graffiti. I think graffiti is an amazing art style, and a very expressive one at that. You definitely have to have a certain mind to be able to create graffiti. Lately, I have been very appreciative of artists and have realized how different forms of art are everywhere you go. Although I am terrified of getting a tattoo and probably never will, I think a meaningful selected New School tattoo would be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi- I agree with you, I think this is one of the most expressive art styles there is! I personally would not get a New School tattoo because I do not like the cartoon/graffiti feel for a tattoo. Its always interesting for me to hear of people who would get this type of tattoo because of the different taste in styles. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Though all of my tattoos are black and grey (and will always be black and grey), as a self-proclaimed artist, I have so much respect for these tattoos. There is so much artistic expression, vividness, and color in these still images that they almost create a story all on their own. Unlike Kristi, I will never have one of these tattoos, but I LOVE seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth- I agree with you! I have so much respect for this work (and artist, I cannot draw or be creative to save my life!) I would never get these types of tattoos but I love admiring them and their work. Thanks for reading :-)

      Delete
  3. As a graphic design major who's taken numerous courses in art history, I think this is one field of art that is often overlooked and under appreciated, by the more mainstream circles. I did some googling and found it interesting that there is some dispute about when and where this style actually originated. Some say it started in California in the 70s when a greater number customers began asking for tattoos directly from popular culture. Others say it did not really take off into the late 80s early 90s. It's also interesting that this new style marked a shift in the artists attitudes as well as they began sharing their techniques more openly with each other.

    ReplyDelete