Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Photo Realistic

Photo realistic is one of my favorite tattoo types as it looks like it could come alive at any second. Usually, photo realistic tattoos are represented by portraits or true to life scenes/landscapes that showcase the fine line detail of a photograph or painting. These tattoos mimic photography, and if that isn't mind-blowing then I don't know what is. Photo realism is more of a general term. As I stated above, it can be portrait; which we have already gone over, it can be bio-mechanical which we will go over on a future date, so I'm going to try and use examples outside of that realm. Some important aspects to these photo realism tattoos are the highlights and shadows. Highlights can be made with white ink, lighter ink, or skin breaks where they use the canvas' skin tone as a highlighter. These make a 3 dimensional image appear realistic in a 2 dimensional space. These are also more difficult to tattoo because the human body is made of dips, curves, and budges that can distort images if the artist isn't precise. Below I have included some tattoos that artist have done that represent photo realism (including one of my own tattoos), thanks for reading! :-)

2 comments :

  1. YESSSS THIS IS SO MY FAVORITE!!! I have a lion with the birth month flowers for me my mom and my two grandmothers and hoping to one day get some more shading and white highlights put in to really add some dimension to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that photo realistic can be great if the artist is talented, but we have all seen terrible portraits online.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/31-tattoo-artists-who-should-be-fired#.tj5jjpKb9

    ReplyDelete